Monday, November 9, 2015

The last week of the transfer is starting good.

Dear Mom,

I loved this past week so much. District conference here in Udorn was such an amazing opportunity that was also filled with many miracles and blessings. We had several investigators and a lot of members make it out to district conference which was a great thing to see. Those said investigators are also continuing to progress and it was definitely a great opportunity for them to learn and grow as well.

I'm thankful for all of the many blessings and continual guidance that the Lord gives us from day to day, sometimes even hour to hour. I am exceedingly grateful for the opportunity I have had to serve in Sakhon Nakorn and with Elder Noyce. I'm very grateful for the amazing examples I've seen from other missionaries, leaders, and also members. I'm impressed with the courage and testimony of new members, and even investigators. The training we received on Saturday along with all of the training, talks, and revelation from the speakers the past few days really made me rethink and desire to change several things about my own life and how I've been working as well. In the training, I learned the most on the subject of the Atonement. What it truly means to change and why. He loved us enough to Atone for us. All He does is invite us to change. It 'pumps us up'. In conference, we talked the most about the Sabbath day and I loved an analogy shared about the real pearl of all we do and that is the Atonement. We have a box. A beautifully wrapped present that is decorated and ornamented with ribbons, bows, and covered with elaborate wrapping paper. But that is in the box is what is most important. They talked about how activities and events can be helpful and necessary, but the true gift is the Atonement.

I was deeply impressed with how people, all around the world can come together and rejoice in the same Savior and Redeemer. I felt a special spirit as we listened to the members from Laos sing and give talks in Laotian that made me really know that the bonding power that was there was love. Love of Christ and the love our Father has for each and every one of us. I learned about sharing testimony and being a miracle for someone else. It really made me want to change and to become something better. I know that that is what this life is all about. Changing, improving, and doing so out of love for God, Christ, and others.

This past week I also had the opportunity to go on switch-offs with Elder Stevens. It was a great opportunity to work more closely with the other Elders and take a look into how they work. I remember in conference call with the zone leaders that they said the members of our districts really look up to us. Most of the time I don't notice it or realize it. Sometimes it seems like that's not true, but when they said that, I realized that it is true. We talked about leaders in district conference as well. I often forget that I am a leader. I am fairly old in the mission. My example, whether I see it or not, can, and does have an influence on others. After saying this, I should probably work on being a better example more often.

Working with Elder Stevens, I was able to see how much he really cares for everyone that we met with. I could see just how badly he wanted his investigators to feel of God's love, the truth of the message, and how much he wanted them to have spiritual experiences. I often think about how similar he and I are when I was a greenie. I was very similar in a lot of ways. I wanted others to know how I felt, but I didn't know how to do it. However, Elder Stevens can already speak Thai fluently, so that's not a problem. In fact, he often says too much. I was able to try to help him put his thoughts, which would sometimes ramble and make lessons extremely long, more simple and powerful while focusing on the principles and pearls of the Gospel. It's a hard thing to do, but I believe he is learning at a faster pace than me when I was a greenie.

Many miracles: 1) appointments didn't show up on Monday but we were able to take a well needed sit down with the Branch President. 2) Our investigators at the hospital were still doing well on Tuesday. Also a group of ER workers we met with there where really friendly. 3) Several potential investigators I called were able to come to English class and meet with us. 4) We were able to meet a few long time investigators who we had lost contact with; they also brought a friend. 5) We received two referrals from another referral from an RC. 6) Got to serve an investigator who is going strong; I'd never done so much farm work until coming to Thailand. 6) Had a great group lesson with some RC's and two investigators with a baptismal date. One of which we had also lost contact with until then. 7) Visited the family of an RC who is continuing to learn. She's awesome. 8) Conducted my first baptismal interview - she was awesome. 9) District Conference - came back and visited an LA who said a really great prayer and said how she had never had a companionship of missionaries like us before and would truly miss us. She committed to coming to church every week that she can. She reminds me of my mom. 10) Still ended up getting balanced despite losing almost 2 work days.

There have been many, many more that I'm too lazy to write them all.

Oh, and a baptism. We went to Udorn this past weekend for District Conference which is like Stake Conference. There, we had a special baptismal program. It was kind of crazy with all the the things going on, so we didn't have a chance to take any pictures, but it was, and always is, an indescribable experience to witness people going into the waters a baptism and making covenants with the Lord. I also had the special opportunity to be the baptizer. We weren't sure when the service was going to start, where the font was, where we were going to change our clothes, or even who everyone was, but it was awesome. We had invited this investigator over a transfer ago, and at first we were afraid that she wasn't making much progress. We ended up deciding to let the other Elders work with her. It was a special experience because I was also the one able to interview her. It was my first interview and despite being anxious/nervous, I was able to feel the Spirit in that interview. She had a strong love of Christ and desire for her future...let's just say there are a lot of stories that we could tell about her and leave it at that. Oh, and it was super great riding in a truck with all of the members. It was a good time.

Oh, and I was able to meet my very first RC, Bro. Jack. He moved back to Udorn from Bangna. He is teaching a bunch of his family members here. The members here in Udorn were talking about it with me.

-- 

ขอแสดงความนับถือ,                                           Sincerely,
เอ็ลเดอร์ ซัน                                                        Elder Sun
ผู้สอนศาสนา                                                                 Missionary 
ศาสนจักรของพระเยซูคริสต์แห่งวิสุทธิชนยุคสุดท้าย         The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints
คณะเผยแผ่ กรุงเทพฯ, ประเทศไทย                                   Bangkok, Thailand Mission

No comments:

Post a Comment