Monday, February 8, 2016

Don Muang

Dear Mom,

I have left Roi-et and have moved back to Bangkok. I am in the Don Muang ward in the Pakkred area. It's pretty much in the heart of the church in Thailand in Jangwatthana. The area here is so big that there are three wards that meet at the building. Also, I am now a zone leader. The time I spent in Roi-et went by so fast and when I found out I was moving I was honestly so, so sad. One interesting thing is that as we went around teaching last lessons with RCs, LAs, and investigators, we made a lot of people cry - oops. Both my companion (Elder Christiansen) and I moved from Roi-et. Whitewash! That made me really worried for all of the people that we left behind, but I know that the missionaries who moved there will do great, that the members will look after them well and the Lord will always continue to guide them. Aside from being very surprised to be moving from Roi-et so quick, I was also surprised that I was going to be a Zone Leader. What a great example of the Lord calling weak things to become strong.

Another change that has happened in the mission is there are no more transfer meetings. Just receive a phone call, and go. This past week was great not losing too much time to work. It was definitely a different feel not having transfers meeting and at first we were very worried about traveling, but it all ended up being okay and I'm way excited for this transfer. I can say that when I got the call to be a zone leader, I was way surprised and felt completely unprepared. Kind of like the time I was called to be a trainer at first and then a district leader. However, being able to just jump in and work these past couple of days have really made me excited. I want to do a good job for the Lord and this being the first time in a long time being a junior companion, I feel like I can really learn a lot. Elder Curtis is a really fantastic missionary who has both the skill, experience, and desire to finish out his mission strong. He is close to finishing his mission. He was my zone leader in Sakon Nakhorn. Coming new into an area makes me feel how little I know and how much I need to learn things fast in order to use time effectively to work and just not be overwhelmed.

From what I have heard from being here just a few days now, there is a bit of a concern with working with members. Mainly just not having a ton of support from members or having members have a firm hand in missionary work. It sounds like there are many people who do not feel like members and missionaries are working together well.  We've put an emphasis on sharing love with the members and really getting to know them. Not just hanging out with them, but showing earnest and sincere interest in their welfare. I like what PMG says about charity. When we have charity, we will develop this ability to put the needs of others above ours. I feel like if we want to have the members be 'on track' with us, we need to be willing to put the ward's needs above ours. I loved the direction and the way the work went in my last couple of transfers, and I believe we have what it'll take to help build up a great member/missionary relationship.

We will be receiving training on Wednesday and also have the chance to go out and train the rest of the zone.

Also, another awesome thing is that just this past Sunday an investigator of mine was baptized in Roi-et. It makes me, so, so, happy. Elder Curtis and I were talking about what is the best thing about being a missionary. We agreed that it is the blessings that people receive from and their progress in conversion to the Gospel. The best feelings we have is when our converts experience the true conversion and joy in the Gospel. I am so happy for them and excited for the fruit that will come from them. Oh!, it just makes me so, so joyful - see Alma 26.

She was a referral from another investigator. At first, she just came to learn english at church, but we asked her if she would be interested in also learning about religion with us. She said yes and after a few weeks, has made terrific progress. I was way, way impressed with her desire to learn. She would read every reading assignment we give her and also mark up her scriptures as she went, too. She would ask questions on things she didn't understand and the friend that brought her in was a huge help in helping to explain things. As I left Roi-et, we were beginning to see a solid group of members and non-members from and create a strong solid social base for these people. We also went and visited these people's houses and started to work with their families. The testimony of this convert is one that was truly grown and nourished. We would periodically ask them how is their faith doing. Do they believe in God. At first it was no. Then 20, 30, 50%. Eventually the conversion took root in their life, repentance in the heart, and works came forth. I always have a hard time summarizing people's 'conversion stories', so I'll suffice it to say that she was a truly repentant soul.

-- 

ขอแสดงความนับถือ,                                           Sincerely,
เอ็ลเดอร์ ซัน                                                        Elder Sun
ผู้สอนศาสนา                                                                 Missionary 
ศาสนจักรของพระเยซูคริสต์แห่งวิสุทธิชนยุคสุดท้าย         The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints
คณะเผยแผ่ กรุงเทพฯ, ประเทศไทย                                   Bangkok, Thailand Mission

No comments:

Post a Comment