Monday, June 6, 2016

The 4th transfer in Don Mueang

Dear Mom,

I do believe in miracles. We see them so often, everyday as missionaries and I know that they really do happen in our lives from day to day. Another miracles is that I'm staying in Don Mueang for another transfer. That's four in total, around 6 months. It is because we are in the middle of making great changes with the ward. The Bishop has told us that he has not felt this excited about missionary work in several years. When we came, he doesn't know what happened, but we sparked something with him and he is now doing so, so much to further the work as well as helping the rest of the ward. We are like one large force working together. We are in such a great, critical position to help get the ward more self-sufficient and I feel like this coming up transfer is going to just explode with the Spirit and we'll see much success as we move forward. I, personally, have many things that I want to improve on. Being in the same area for this long has made me realize a lot of imperfections about myself. There are many areas that I which to improve personally and spiritually. The work is moving forth in exciting ways and I feel that, as we play such an important role, that we, too, learn so much. I've truly been humbled these past several transfers. I want this next transfer to be a kind of accumulation of all that I've learned thus far. I've realized that I'm not as patient, charitable, humble, or Christ-like as I'd like to be, but I am determined to change and strive to become more like my Savior. I've often wondered why I was called to be a zone leader when there are so many other capable, better missionaries to be zone leaders, but something that our Bishop said stuck with me. He said people who are called to leadership positions aren't necessarily the best missionaries. We are often called to a position so that we can learn and grow. Being a leader is just as much as it is for us as those we serve. This is something I'm continuing to learn on my mission. The Lord calls 18 and 19 year old men and women who do not yet have much life experience or skill to do the most important work there is. Those He calls, He qualifies as we strive to do His will.

Our Bishop, and also ward council, and the ward members in general, are continuing to kindle a fire of missionary work. They are all so excited for the ward activity this Saturday. We will be going to ระยอง (a beach). We're invited all of the members and as many investigators to go as we can. It's a huge trip and all the members are excited about it. It will be such a great opportunity to strengthen member's relationship with new members and investigators and with each other and to strengthen the testimonies of all those involved. The Bishop has taken such a great role in this activity by delegating and allowing ward members to have a large part in planning this activity. Not only this activity, but also allowing the ward members to have a large part in all aspects of ward activities and missionary work. The vision that the ward leaders have established is so clearly seen. We had such a great ward council meeting. We had a long meeting, but none of the members felt burdened or tired from it, exactly the opposite. There is such great momentum building.

I think maybe the biggest thing I have learned from the past transfer is that missionary work does not need to feel like work at all. It doesn't need to be forced or stressed or worried. I have learned that it must be fun and full with the Spirit.

I have also learned the power and strength available through the sacrament and fasting. Last week was Stake Conference, way good. We got to say hello to a bunch of people and teach a bunch of investigators, But the following week, I didn't know I could be so excited to partake of the sacrament. It was honestly such a sacred, personal, powerful, amazing feeling to be able to take the sacrament the week following conference (it was also fast Sunday). It was an experience that I really, desperately wanted our investigators to know, too.

We have several investigators that we think will progress well. I'll have to write about a few of them next time. One great story is Sister Pha's parents. She's the RC that I wrote about last time. They are still progressing well and their family is such a great story. We're still teaching them and they'll be baptized on the 25th, so exciting! We also have two investigators who actually live almost 2hrs from the church, but they have come to church every week and are going to the big ward activity with us. Another investigator brought her older sister and another friend to church. We had 12 investigators in church, so many have been referrals and come from English class - such great miracles.

I also think I've found my two new favorite hobbies - bowling, and boxing. We went bowling again last week - so much fun every time. We also went Muay Thai boxing with an LA member and his nonmember brother this morning (we've gone twice now). Muay Thai boxing was honestly like a childhood dream. As Elder Parker and I were talking about how it was, we agreed that our wrists and ankles weren't yet accustomed to the rough demands of kick boxing. As I thought about why this was, I learned a good lesson. I learned that when we us the proper techniques, we were able to deliver more powerful, accurate blows. If we didn't use good form, we would end up injuring our wrists or ankles. Similarly with the Gospel and our lives, if we follow the guidelines and advice that God has given us, we will be more successful and happy while protected from danger.

Pictures: Picture of last district (only Sister Carillo moved), 

-- 

ขอแสดงความนับถือ,                                           Sincerely,
เอ็ลเดอร์ ซัน                                                        Elder Sun
ผู้สอนศาสนา                                                                 Missionary 
ศาสนจักรของพระเยซูคริสต์แห่งวิสุทธิชนยุคสุดท้าย         The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints
คณะเผยแผ่ กรุงเทพฯ, ประเทศไทย                                   Bangkok, Thailand Mission

No comments:

Post a Comment