Monday, July 13, 2015

A new week and a new transfer

Dear Mom,

I love reading the Book of Mormon every day. I find that no matter what it is that I read or study, I always find such great enlightening thoughts and testimonies from the prophets of old. There are so many amazing examples, not to mention Christ's, too. Check out Alma and read about Ammon, Aaron, and Alma if you want to know how to be a great missionary (or person). I find something new that I just really want to share with investigators every time I study. It seems that some investigators really are having problems, least of all with trying to help them have a good desire to learn, but the ones that do always seem to hit road bumps. As my last companion would always say, Satan is working really hard. He doesn't rest and is trying his best - but we have to rest, but we can always try out best, too.

I hope the reunion was fun, it sounds like it. Also, on Tuesday, there was a hugish rainstorm here, too. We had to ride our bikes home in the pouring rain in the dark. Scary. And dangerous - especially since my old bike didn't have any working brakes. But I now have my old companion's bike which works much better.

I'm still in Surin. This week has been different, as it always is surrounding transfers. The switching of companions and districts always takes getting used to. It always feels different, but I'm confident that the next six weeks will be just as miracle filled as in the past. From where I saw and have heard about Surin, last transfer really was a high point, a turn around point for the area. This transfer has started out really slow so what we'll work on next is to get all of the people we're working with to really progress.

With every new companion, I look back and feel like I can learn so much from the examples of each person I'm with. As I strive to become more like Christ, I realize that I can accomplish this by incorporating and learning from the examples of others around me, too. Elder Butler and Elder Sang moved. My new companion is another Laos person. Elder Sayawong. He studies so hard all the time. He's been a missionary for a while now, pretty close to two years, and he's studying super hard for a really hard Toeffel test that tests English.

This week, before transfers, we worked really hard up to the very last day. If it wasn't for that, we definitely wouldn't have gotten balanced this week. We're still working with groups of friends and working on teaching them. It is still amazing to see such faith in such young people, several of whom have told us that they wanted to be baptized. Sometimes a friend isn't interested, but when they bring a friend of a friend, that person may be interested. It's a miracle to see in working with friend groups. Kind of like networking of spreading the Gospel. The initial or first couple people may not progress very well, but eventually it gets to a person who says they've always been interesting in learning about Christ and accepts everything. One person came to us before English class and said they didn't actually come for English, they were just interested in learning the Gospel. What a miracle. This person is the sister of a friend of a friend of a person who is the friend of the person who had an accident on a motorcycle who was the friend of a member. Or something like that.

The day before transfers, we tried to teach a group lesson with all these friend groups together as a last lesson of the transfer with them, it was pretty much just chaos. There were around 15 people, all investigators who came together. They mostly talked to each other and played on their phones. It was hard to keep their attention. Some people would pay attention at some times, but it was very hard to teach to each of them. It was a great experience to learn from - try to avoid teaching large lessons. We continued to have miracles all the way up to the last day of the transfers - and during transfers, too, where I was able to hear about the progress of some of my RC's in my old area who are still sharing with their families and going strong.

This Sunday, four people were confirmed, and we had a long-time LA come back to church, too! We have several solid daters for next week and weeks to come. I'm very excited to see all the many things I'll be able to learn this transfer and for the miracles that the Lord has planned for these people. I know that miracles will come according to our faith and diligence so I'm going to try my hardest to keep working at a good pace - to keep the fire of faith burning and being fully consecrated on the work.


Elder Sun

At transfers, I met up with my original trainer. He has since trained another person who has trained another, too. My second trainer also has a trainee who has trained. He my old companion's grandpa - he's an awesome grandpa.

My new companion.



-- 

ขอแสดงความนับถือ,                                           Sincerely,
เอ็ลเดอร์ ซัน                                                        Elder Sun
ผู้สอนศาสนา                                                                 Missionary 
ศาสนจักรของพระเยซูคริสต์แห่งวิสุทธิชนยุคสุดท้าย         The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints
คณะเผยแผ่ กรุงเทพฯ, ประเทศไทย                                   Bangkok, Thailand Mission

No comments:

Post a Comment