Monday, October 5, 2015

Moving Forward...

Dear Mom,

I hope all is well over there and the cold season doesn't cause too many problems. The cold season here...will probably feel the same as the rest of the year. We go to the hospital every week because Elder Noyce has some back/neck problems. We're really hoping it'll get better, but he Lord gives the hardest challenges do his toughest soldiers. I know that this is definitely so true. No matter what we are faced with, it is an opportunity to grow. Either the Lord will chasten us to make us turn back to Him, or the trials the righteous face area a test of faith to strengthen us further. We do switch offs for training, balanced work load, and if plans don't go as planned and the day turns into a little bit of chaos. haha.

This past week has been awesome. A new transfer is always full of exciting new changes and experiences. The beginning of the week seemed to pass by slow as we got ready for transfers, but as soon as we got back we hit the ground running by teaching, visiting, and working hard. I was so grateful to be able to go down to Bangkok even though we didn't move. Which is another thing that I'm really excited about and thankful for. I feel like we saw a lot of miracles and mercy from the Lord last transfer and we have the chance to serve together again and continue to see miracles. It was also great to see the large group of new missionaries coming in. Sometimes I feel like I'm too old. On the first day of the transfer, the zone leaders told us that our zone was the youngest in the mission. Our district is very, very young, and the first thing that I thought was how much trust the Lord has placed in us and how much faith and 'young enthusiasm' we have. The Lord must have a lot of faith because I'm now the oldest missionary in our district by about 8 months and I'm the district leader. The other companionship whitewashed out and the two new elders both speak Thai fluently already.

This past Sunday, we saw one baptism. It was the friend of a member that we had been teaching for a few weeks. He has a great desire and really wants to get to the celestial kingdom. The biggest trial for him in getting this far was his lack of confidence in himself. He is afraid that he wouldn't be able to keep the commandments. But this humility is also a great strength, too. He's a more quiet, shy person, but he knows what he needs to do. We invited him to take things one step at a time and rely on the Savior through prayer. For sure we'll face trials in life, but we don't have to be too worried about what is going to happen in the future if we plan well today and resolve to do what we know is right.

We also had 5 people confirmed this past Sunday. It's great to see more of God's children coming into His church and coming unto Christ.

I'll have to say that I'm not ready to be a District Leader (having more responsibility), but I know that I really am ready because the Lord will help me. I have a lot to learn about being a leader, a missionary, a disciple of Christ, and while I may not be sure what I should do and feel like I don't have a lot of experience, I know that it all comes down to what I do know. Following the example of Christ, listening and following the Spirit, and being consecrated to the work. There are a lot of details, things to do, and plenty of reasons to be stressed or discouraged, but I know that it's not something too big, too hard, or something to become discouraged over because we don't have to do it alone.

I'm always very impressed with my companion, Elder Noyce. He's a hard worker, diligence, exceedingly loving, consecrated, humble, obedient, focused, happy, patient, and in-tune with the Spirit. He makes me want to work harder and I honestly believe that he is one of those few missionaries that people talk about will change the mission.

This past week was great because all of the investigators that we've met, transfer meeting, the people we've visited, the baptism and confirmations we had, the growth in this area and the enormous faith that our companionship has. I know that miracles can happen. They do happen. They occur all around us. Miracles in the work are just a small showing of the Lord's love for us. The desire that sprouts in the hearts of investigators, the Spirit that they feel, and the love that missionaries, members, and investigators share is something that I feel is a miracle in itself. This transfer will be great. The Lord will lead us and we will allow Him to work miracles through us.

I'm excited for this transfer, mission tour, zone conference, and for the work that we'll be able to do.

-- 

ขอแสดงความนับถือ,                                           Sincerely,
เอ็ลเดอร์ ซัน                                                        Elder Sun
ผู้สอนศาสนา                                                                 Missionary 
ศาสนจักรของพระเยซูคริสต์แห่งวิสุทธิชนยุคสุดท้าย         The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints
คณะเผยแผ่ กรุงเทพฯ, ประเทศไทย                                   Bangkok, Thailand Mission

No comments:

Post a Comment